Feat> I've carefully read the section about building extensions, ...
    Feat> but this doesn't tell me how to locate the right Python header
    Feat> file...

Distutils takes care of that for you.  All you should need to do is

    #include "Python.h"

in your source.  As you concluded, the correct one to use is the one which
corresponds to the Python executable you're using.  I believe distutils uses
sys.exec_prefix and the version of the running Pyhon to get a base directory
for the installation.  From there it's just a hop, skip and jump to the
installed Include directory which corresponds to that running executable.

For example, for my current python, 2.6, I installed it in ~/local.  That
gives me an include file directory of ~/local/include/python2.6.

--
Skip Montanaro - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/