Ned Deily <n...@acm.org> wrote:

> In article <55150.1233433...@parc.com>, Bill Janssen <jans...@parc.com>
> wrote:
> > has <hengist.p...@virgin.net> wrote:
> > > ...or prevent the OS from automatically upgrading your
> > > python process to a GUI process (which it only does if it knows the
> > > executable is located in an application bundle, e.g. Python.app/
> > > Contents/MacOS/python).
> > I'm not running Python.app -- I'm running /usr/bin/python, which if I
> > follow the symlinks leads me to
> > /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python2.5,
> > which in turn "file" shows to be a dual-architecture executable, which
> > in my case is "Mach-O executable i386".  So I don't see how this rule
> > about automatic upgrading really applies -- I'm not using Python.app.
>
> Actually, you probably are.  This can be a bit confusing unless you
> carefully trace through the steps in the Mac/Makefile.in, as I have been
> doing recently.
>
> Note that the binary at <FW>/bin/python2.5 is *not* the actual python
> interpreter binary.  Rather it is the so-called pythonw binary whose
> only function is to execv to the real python binary which is located at
>
> <FW>/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
>
> and that is inside an app bundle.

Thanks, Ned.  Yes, so I see, looking at the sources.  The next question
is, since the rocket-in-the-dock only happens sometime, is there
something I can do to forestall the "promotion"?  And, is the promotion
happening because of the OS, or because of code in some extension
(appscript, say, or PyObjC).

Bill