Hi, Steve:

I'm definitely in agreement with you about CORBA/SOAP. I'ma huge fan of MOM solutions as opposed to SOAP and such. HTTP tends to have some benefits when interacting with services over the internet ( B2B ), but that is really just because nobody has proposed a good MOM-over-HTTP spec that everyone can agree on yet.

The big decision, of course, is whether to define an API in terms of essentially function calls (like IDL ) or 'messages' -- which an have an arbitrary structure, but are basically transport independent. Though I find MOM architectures are more scalable and flexible, they tend to be overkill when most of the system will be running in-process anyway, which seems likely in this situation.

One other thought to throw out in this topic is the 'analysis paralysis' issue. Though it would be good to build on the work of others, and to be consistent with existing specs in order to ensure widest adoption, sometimes a spec that's actually implemented but less than ideal is the best choice.

As I see the issues discussed, I'm thinking more and more that it be best to just make some reasonable decisions on how the API works and go with it. Perhaps this could be loosely based on the OMG spec to start with, but I don't think its likely much will be gained by sticking to it. PythonOCC is strong, and AFAIK is the most advanced of all the open source kernels. Sticking with a CORBA- based API will likely limit the flexibility that a pure python based library could offer. I don't think it is necessary to be able to interoperate with other companies or systems to be successful. There is a good chance that the mainsteam modelling kernels will not publish an API that conforms to a standard interface anyway, they will want a proprietary API to lock in their customers.

My gut feeling says the best approach is to look at the OMG spec to understand the issues and learn about the problem domain, then design an API that works well with pythonOCC and move on it, not worrying from that point whether it is OMG compatible or not.