Clemens Kolbitsch wrote:
hi!
i've been trying around for quite some time now trying to start qemu without the graphic screen... can someone tell me exactly what I'm supposed to do??

i want to redirect the output of my i386 debian linux to my host-console (also a i386 debian) to fully see the output of a kernel panic (see previous messages i have posted).

i'm starting qemu:

qemu -hda myimage -boot c -kernel-kqemu -kernel mykernel -initrd myinitrd -append "root=/dev/hda1 console=/dev/ttyS0" -nographic

after tons of trial-and-error i finally got my system to boot, however, the login-screen is not displayed (i see all output of the starting system up until the ">>login:"). how do i connect to the serial line now to get to the login??

Add this to /etc/inittab in the guest system:
co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100-nav

Without that it's only going to put the login prompts on the (now hidden) virtual consoles.

The (emulated) hardware display still exists, it's just not shown. I use just such a setup for a Win2000 virtual-machine that's accessible by VNC. I've had issues with QEMU's own VNC server (it crashes with a core dump on disconnection, and no-one on the list was remotely interested) so instead I run UltraVNC within Win2000 and connect to that instead.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
   Eridani Star System

   MailStripper - http://www.MailStripper.eu/ - UNIX spam filter