Hi,

I also stumbled on this particular matter in the past. If I remember
correctly...

> Howdy!
>
> Before I make a tiny pull request I better ask:
>
> There has been confusion here because of the wording around the
> "DefaultProxy" and default proxy usage in Settings -> Options ->
> Network:
>
> - Under the checkboxed "Use Proxy for Web Access" section there is
>   a combobox for the "Proxy type". The first entry is named
>   "DefaultProxy", others are e.g. "HttpProxy" or "Socks5Proxy".
> - Next to the combobox is a text label saying "Default uses system's
>   proxy". This label is always visible. Grey if the checkbox is not
>   ticked, as normal text if it is ticked.
>
> There is some ambiguity with this:
>
> - By default the "Use Proxy for Web Access" checkbox is not ticked. So
>   this could mean that by default the system's proxy is used, even if
>   the checkbox is not ticked.

No, if the "Use Proxy for Web Access" is not ticked, there is "No Proxy"
at all

> - If the checkbox is ticked, then by default the first entry of the
>   combobox is activated ("DefaultProxy"). Now it could be read that
>   the default selection of the combobox, the "DefaultProxy", uses the
>   system's proxy.
> - Last, and that is my understanding, "Default uses system's proxy"
>   actually references the name of the "DefaultProxy" comboxbox option
>   so if the user selects "DefaultProxy", then the system's proxy is
>   used. (Same outcome as with the previous one but for a different
>  reason).

Sorry, I don't get your point here, everything looks normal to me.

> I'd suggest using the actual full name of the combobox entry in the
> help text: "DefaultProxy uses the system's proxy".
> That would be a simple one-line diff in
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/71583dbc0cd33d85d036bcccef5991bbd2e3b632/src/ui/qgsoptionsbase.ui#L5015
> It would be nicer to have a combobox entry like "DefaultProxy (uses
> system's proxy" in the combobox itself and drop the help text, but
> that would be more complex.
>

> The confusion was worse in a local environment because in the German
> translation the word "Default" was localized while the "DefaultProxy"
> combobox entry was not. :o)

I think that we get the translation directly from Qt Enum. That's why
someone just added the help text just besides the comboBox I think.

Why not having a tool tip instead of a help text just besides the
combobox ? or at least remove the help text when you don't select
"Default Proxy" ?

> Cheers, Hannes

Regards,
Julien