What kind of raster file? What format and what specifics?

I'd recommend you use a format that is binary and internally tiled, e.g. GeoTIFF with TILES=YES. That way access to such areas is as efficient as can be.

49 neighbors is quite excessive, maybe simply downsampling your raster with an appropriate filter/interpolator would achieve the result you need?