Hi Veljo,

QGIS uses the OGR library to access Map Info datasources. The OGR page
(http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_mitab.html) says that it does not support update
of existing datasets, so you cannot edit those files in QGIS. Creation of
spatial index through the QGIS GUI is only provided for shapefiles.

Each data provider in QGIS has different capabilities with respect to editing.
Editing is provided for shapefiles (through OGR), PostGIS databases, GPS and
also GRASS data (with the editing interface of the GRASS plugin).

All the best,
Marco