On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 08:55:28PM +0200, Thierry Godefroy wrote:

> I got no compatibility problem with the crypto API but for when
> they changed from 2.2 to 2.4 kernel (the data had to be transfered
> to a new encrypted volume, but that's all).

it will change again for 2.6, probably a few times yet.

> Also, the crypto API is to become the standard, so I'd recommend
> starting to get used to it right now instead of using a third party
> software which seems pretty much incompatible with the crypto API
> (as far as I could see by reading the loop-AES documentation).

the standard is just emerging, it had 2 versions with incompatible
disk formats last 2 weeks and mount options are still subject of
discussion.. not a good time to get used to it.

So far it seems loop-AES can encrypt or decrypt all formats except
perhaps some of those with broken IV keys.

> > that looks very strange. Perhaps I can make some sense out of
> > it when I see the patch.
>
> Alas, there's some weirdness in the rc.sysinit script of ShoeString:
> it looks like a line in fstab such as:
>
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0

no idea. What would "mount -a" do if that line is in /etc/fstab?
Mine simply complains no such fs and that's it but I have newer
version of the script.
I don't see anything in the script itself.

> # Source functions
> . /etc/init.d/functions
>
> action $"Super-Mounting the CD-ROM: " mount /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t supermount -o
> fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom,ro
> action $"Super-Mounting the floppy: " mount /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy -t supermount -o
> fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0

this is a good idea, much easier to provide as fully configured
but optional addon.

Richard