----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] £ 1000 to spend! (2nd attempt!)

> I approached Fred Toussi a while ago about doing an
> upgrade to Text 87 and suggested that he could produce a new version
> using the new colours and adding simple stuff like access to pointer
> driven menus for file selection (via Menu_rext). He was not keen. I
> suggested he gave us the sources and we could get someone to do it but
> he regarded his sources as being secret .....

Ah yes, but was he offered serious money?

> Qliberator was another story but Ian Stewart, who was my only contact,
> had only a small part in writing it. The other author, whose name
> escapes me, had long since disappeared and the sources were not
> available. I have now no contact for Ian so when the last few copies I
> have are exhausted I cannot sell it.  I have not sold a copy for some
> time so I am not too worried but I would have liked to get it updated.
> --

This is really disappointing, because, if the sources were available they
would probably be relatively cheap to buy. It would have been a valuable
contribution to the future of the QL. But again, would money help in a
search for the source code?

Don't forget I am not suggesting asking people for the source code, but
buying it. No trader could afford to do this, because it would have to be
done at a loss. Quanta does have the resources and this could become one way
in which Quanta could better serve the QL community.

Geoff

          • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
          • ... Lau
          • ... Dent