In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Malcolm Cadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Yet applications like Browsers, DTP, Graphics, etc, are not part of what is supplied. Which makes sense, as this keeps the market open for the development of software.
But they are still developed. Go to Tucows and see how many shareware browsers there are. I do not care if there are big companies doing it. Little ones do this sort of stuff and do it very well and I buy a lot of shareware from these people. Development of replacement components for Windoze continues.

The other problem with 'in-built' facilities is that they will always need upgrading, so the OS will need upgrading - as all users will become discontent. Allowing the software applications to be built on top of the OS allows for easier flexibility - only some users become discontent, are they have a solution in adding newer application versions, or new software entirely.

Nonsense. I have upgraded I.E. a couple of times with out changing the O/S. It is very easy. I have even changed versions within an O/S. You can do the same with Media Player and any of the other applications.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.

  • ... Dave P
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... Dave P
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Malcolm Cadman
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"
  • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"
  • ... Roy wood
  • ... Tony Firshman
  • ... Mike MacNamara
  • ... "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)"