----- Original Message ----- From: "John Gilpin"
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 11:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] good superbasic book?

In my copy there is a preface to the second edition dated 19th July 1989 and
at the foot of that page there is a Copyright Notice

"As of December 1987 all rights in this book reverted to Jan Jones. No
portion of this book may be reproduced without her written permission."

Does this mean that by 'reproducing' these extracts, we are contravening the
copyright?

The interesting thing is that the copy which Quanta has for resale does not
have this page in it but in all other respects the two of them look
identical.

John Gilpin.(Individual)

As Dave P pointed out on 24th December copyright can mean many things. To quote from his mailing:

"(Quanta's copyright is) on a different thing to Jan Jones' copyright. She has a copyright of the contents. Quanta has a copyright on that specific edition (the cover, those changes which make it a quanta publication...."

A fundamental principle in law is always to go back to the original documents. There should be an original contract somewhere.

Best Wishes,
Geoff