Wolfgang Lenerz wrote:
>> Default could also be DATAD$ or whatever.
> that would defeat the wholme exercice.

Why that? It's just a fallback solution if otherwise no other
directory can be provided (none set).

>> Hm, the meaning of a Trap #3 depends on a specific device you've
>> opened, not a good choice IMO. But if you do use a #1 or #2 trap there
>> will be no way to maintain QDOS compatibility (not that I'm
>> particularly bothered by that, just mentioning it).
> See my other email (starting a job from a trap?)

I wonder how sms.crjb ever managed to do it ;-)

Anyway, a vector is probably a better idea, yes.

>> Also something one should probably think about: should functions like
>> OPEN automatically use the "current directory" if no drive name is
>> given? Currently most commands default to DATAD$.
> I HATE the open commands that append the data/prog dir when I don't
> want them!

Well, partly yes, some files do tend to show up at wrong places if I
misspell a device name. On the other hand, I do prefer "ex fifi" over
"ex dev1_fifi".

>> Or, speaking completely into the blue, what about a meta device like
>> DEV_ that uses dynamic paths instead of static ones? Something like
>> "home_MyDataFile"?
> Too ambitious?

As usual code reuse is the magic word. The DEV_ device exists, it
shouldn't be hard to adapt. But basically it's a separate project, if
there was a thing it would simply just use the thing, too.

Marcel