2) The bigger problem and one which is harder to address...
How do you decide what is the home directory of a file called win1_basic_exts_turbo_config_exe

I guess the code which sets up the job would have to look at each of the levels before the underscore to see if they were set up as a directory (ie file type 255).
I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, but here goes:

Using your example above, in BASIC using FNAME$ you can extract the filename part to separate it from the directory name - I do this in Q-Trans.

channel=FOP_DIR(win1_basic_exts_turbo_config_exe)
PRINT FNAME$(#channel)
CLOSE #channel

FNAME$ on a channel opened by FOP_DIR returns the pure directory name. Assuming your program int he example is called turbo_config_exe, FNAME$ would in this case return basic_exts, the directory in which turbo_config_exe is called.

The above is from memory and I think only works if you use FOP_DIR (i.e. it has to be open directory channel). I think in this situation that FNAME$ returns the directory name and not the "pure" filename, but is easily checked.

All I'm saying is that (assuming I understood the message first time) it is possible to some extent already.