P Witte wrote:
Some time ago I wrote about a problem with a green, jinxed PC I have, and I
received a lot of helpful advice on this list - Thank you! I had this
machine built for me at a local computer shop. Not the industry's brightest
people, pehaps, but very helpful and friendly. They were at a complete loss.

In desperation, one of the guys brought his own XP3200+ to work and plugged
it into my machine. Hey presto! It worked. Then he took my CPU and plugged
it into his machine. Lo and behold it worked too! Finally, he claimes, he
put my CPU back into my machine - and that too worked! So I took it home,
and my green beauty has been working flawlessly for the past 48 hours - a
record!.

I phoned the guy up to tell him so. He says that his machine doesnt work
anymore! He is adamant that I have my own CPU and he his. Whats he got? The
computer clap? or is it all clap trap? I dont know.

Perhaps Roy has a point about the reliability of Athlons. Perhaps it was
just dirty contacts. Perhaps it was the colour of the case. Hopefully the
saga has run its course.

I would guess a cooling issue. Re-apply some of the cooling pasta and make sure the cooler is properly connected. Badly connected coolers or lack of (sufficient) cooling pasta can cause serious nightmares.

Joachim