Greetings once again from LurkLand. Can someone help with the following:

Does anyone have a pair of FDDs known to work (viz., for SGC and preferably GC
as well)? Or maybe I just need a cable that is twisted right or otherwise set
up right.

I cannot get my dual 3.5" FDD to work. Haven't been able to for some time. I
had a pair from long, long ago and far, far away that somehow stopped working
(maybe the latch pooped out on one; don't remember). I decided to try replacing
both with new generics and plug the cable from the Black Box back into the FDDs.

I remember they never worked right. E.g. I have never been able to format (and
previously could). I could take a disk full of files, delete one, and put my
new file in, but not start fresh via format. John, Don, and Roy have all worked
on my various tries at cabling, generic (or the old) boxes, etc. at various US
shows. Roy even took the existing cable, took two pairs of four wires each and
reversed them relative to each other. Things worked better in ways that again I
don't remember, but never fully satisfactorily. Still couldn't format.

So who has run into this before? "Should" I be able to get away with a pair of
generic boxes and a cable that is wired "right"? Or is that an iffy setup and
"should" I just get the full setup of a pair of boxes (yes, in one housing
maybe) and a cable all known already to work? Possibly would have to be in USA
given shipping $$.

I am looking to get a physical QL within shouting distance of "original" to do
a large part of my daily business. I am not ruling out the QPC I have; just
want use for my black box.

Hardware: SGC (also GC and Trump ~1M), in general original "black box"; 14.4
USR, Falkenberg, Hermes, Minerva, old Acorn RGWBlk monitor, Pxxx nnnn 24-pin
printer.

Thanks much,

Doug LaVerne
Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA