This is one of the many things that bugs the hell out of me.

I wish there was a "statute of limitations" or similar on software, whereby
after x years the stuff became free. I'm sure freddy would agree to
releasing it as freeware, or certainly for a giveaway price. I mean, what
real use is a piece of 10 year old QL Software other than retro/curiosity
value? You're hardly gonna run the world with it...

There is so much good usable software out there and nobody knows its user
status - is it freeware, charityware, commercial, or what? And if we had
some certainty on a lot of this, a lot of users may be attracted back or
stay with the QL to use them, purely as tinkerers.

I can pick up a copy of PC World, Computer Shopper, PC Pro or any other PC
Magazine and find a pile of software (often once costing hundreds of pounds)
stuck to the front cover for the 4.99 cover price, and much of this is less
than 2-3 years of age. You usually find v.3 or whatever on the cover disc
with an offer to get the new v.4 inside at a reduced cost - yet here we are
debating the status of software that hasn't been sold at all, never mind
updated, for over a decade.

Why are people so reluctant to give this stuff away? There is no money in it
anymore. Just ask any trader :-)

<END RANT>/

Darren.