Την Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:20:51 -0400,ο(η) Jeremy Taffel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> έγραψε:

>>> Is Linux able to drive those "control-code-less" Windows printers, or
>>> does Linux have the same sorts of problems that QL has with those?
>>>

>> afaik, there are Linux printer drivers available for [some of] the
>> WinPrinters...there's a site [somewhere - got the url somewhere] which
>> lists
>> which are compatabile (aka been reverse engineered/specs provided and
>> drivers written?) and which are not.
>>

> AFAIK all HP inkjets are Linux compatible. Their set up over USB is
> quicker and simpler than under windows. The only problem seems to be
> that for photo quality, they don't have the equivalent of photoRET
> (variable drop size), so you have to get the resolution by sheer force
> of dpi - which makes photo printing slower, (and generally slightly
> lower quality) than under Windows. For all other use, print quality and
> speed is as good under linux as it is under windows.

No, not ALL HP inkjets are compatible with Linux. There's a few whose
drivers only offer basic compatibility and are at best quick hacks. The
same applies for HP's cheap LaserJets as well... The rule of thumb with HP
printers is: If it has a parallel port it is DEFINITELY supported by
Linux. If it doesn't and it is also cheap,  chances are it doesn't.

Cheers,

Phoebus