Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος) wrote:
> Την Mon, 22 May 2006 08:14:11 -0400,ο(η) Robert Newson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> έγραψε:
>
>> P Witte wrote:
>>
>>> David Tubbs writes:
>>  > Youre welcome

>>> BTW the apostrophies are not missing, Ive merely removed redundant
>>> information for the benefit of the discerning reader.
>> Actually, they're not redundant, they represent the missing " a" from
>> "You
>> are", giving "You're".
>>
>> Without, them it looks like a typo of "Your welcome" (or an attempt at a
>> quaint olde looke by adding a trailing "e" to "your") which then begs the
>> question of "What about mine welcome?"
>>

> And to that I have to comment that I am really surprised that Tony did not
> make that comment :-)
I know that Per knows (8-)#
(Did no-one spot the smiley?)

Apostrophes are so essential.  I really don't mind language developing,
but I hate changes that dull meaning.

One very common one now is to use 'less' for everything, where 'fewer'
should be used.  "Less people" for instance.  The rule is *so* simple.
If one can count the noun (ie discrete items) then it is 'fewer'.

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutgrammar/lessfewer?view=uk
http://www.gcse.com/english/less.htm

However *all* youngsters today never use 'fewer'.  If you are tuned in
to this, you will find it has spread to adults (Tony Blair is a prime
example).

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://firshman.co.uk