In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David
McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>I've just checked the zip files on the QHelp master very carefully, and
>there is *no* menu_rext. More to the point, the boot supplied does not
>load it: just ptr_gen, wman, qlib_run, and hot_rext -- all of which I
>have! Is DIR_SELECT$ really part of menu_rext?
>
>So the problem remains: why does QHelp complain that DIR_SELECT$ is a
>bad name now under an emulator, when it ran perfectly well on a black
>box?
>
>When I got my QL in 198? I was impressed by how much easier to use it
>was than my PC at work. Nowadays I'm constantly noticing how much easier
>Linux is! For anyone who's wrestled with installing QL Lynx, compare the
>Linux installation: just type "rpm -i Lynx". And then the QL version
>needs half a dozen environment variables set every time you run it. I've
>never needed to set an environment variable for a Linux program. It
>seems that as other computers have got simpler, the QL has got more
>confusing (and confused).

Yes, Lynx is not easy to install when you first come across it, although
not that difficult as an example boot file, if I remember, it is
provided that with a simple alteration ( or not ) of the device name; it
then works.  It is derived from the Linux OS world, anyway.

The environment variables are just a way setting up some defaults on the
machine that are then there to use.

This is done "outside" of a program, so that they have a global effect.

They are quite nice to use when you get the hang of it.

Again, as an example, I use these two in my boot file :

410 :
420 REMark Load Environment variables
430 LRESPR windrive$ & '_env_bin'
440 REMark Set for Qascade with 'malmenu'
450 SETENV "QASCADE_RC=windrive$ & '_qascade_qascade_malmenu'"
460 REMark Set Path for MicroEMACS
470 SETENV "PATH=windrive$ &'_emacs_emacs';windrive$;flp1_"
480 REMark Set ink colour for MicroEMACS
490 SETENV "EMACS_MDINK=4"
500 :

--
Malcolm Cadman