>>> PS Still puzzled re; diff between O.S. and 'platform' in our
>>> recent
>>> context.
>>> :(
>> The operating system (QDOS or Windows) is that which is running
>> your
>> programs and making sure all the hardware bits and pieces of your
>> computer work properly (or not as the case may be).
>>
>> The 'platform' in this context means the computer hardware on which
>> the operating system being used is based. Thus if you are running
>> QPC2
> <>
>
> I dont see it like that. For me the platform is the QL hardware or
> QL
> emulator the QL OS is running on. Ie QL, Q60, QPC2, uQLx are all
> platforms.
> In the case of emulators, that platform would again be be running on
> a host
> platform, such as a PC, under a host OS such as Linux or Windows.
>
> Per
You are so right, this is partly why I was a little cautious with the
explanation, with the ifs and buts.

Emulators do obscure the issue somewhat!

If you are speaking 'QL' without being interested in the underlying
machine then yes the platform would be QPC2, Q40 or whatever.

The only clear way is to imply it in a reply I suppose... "platform
was a PC running Linux on which I was running uQLx" or whatever. I
suppose in the original context you are totally right - the 'platform'
is indeed the QL "system" on which it's running. Especially if we
aren't interested in the underlying operating system or hardware. Most
QL emulators immerse you in QDOS or SMSQ/E without you having to know
much about what's underneath, and if you are running a native system
(QL, Aurora or Qx0) it doesn't matter anyway.

So, Hitchies, assume Per's reply is a shorter (and clearer)
explanation than mine.