Hi Neil,

Now I do know some of the history of this, so forgive me if I jump past
anyone's understanding.

As Tony stated, if a QL works with the Trump Card it should work with the
Gold Card.  For SGC you need to remove the 68008 chip.

However, microdrives will not work if you have SMSQ/e installed so ensure
you are not trying to use that.

The ED disk drives should work fine with a Trump Card - PROVIDED that you
use DD diskettes.  HD diskettes might just about get formatted to DD (but
would then be unreadable on a system with Gold Card, or Super Gold Card).
ED diskettes may not even work with Trump Card (I have never tried).

You state that you have 2 QLs - one with working microdrives, one without.

Is it correct that neither QL works with your SGC (even with the 68008
removed from the QL)?  The SGC has been tested by Tony as ok and I am very
surprised that even the QL I supplied does not work with it.

Then you mention the Gold Card.

Is the following correct?

QL A - Working microdrives.  Supports Trump Card only, but not SGC or GC.
QL B - Non-working microdrives.  Supports Trump Card and Gold Card, but
not SGC.

What happens with QL A when (a) SGC is plugged in and (b) GC is plugged in
?
What happens with QL B when SGC is plugged in?  Is this the same as on QL
A?

Please re-check with a second PSU as that may be a cause of some of your
problems (hmm now this is where you need a voltmeter, in case neither PSU
is providing the required output).

I am very suprised that neither microdrive works on QL B - normally MDV2
will work if not MDV1. A solution is often to see if the rubber roller on
the left hand side as you look in the microdrive slot may have worked its
way up the post.  Push it back down and it often solves the problem.

Rich

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services