In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Firshman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Dave Walker wrote:
>> That is the first time I have heard of a PC only accepting HD disks?   HD
>> drives should be backwards compatible with DD disks.
>>
>> Maybe I should put up a QDOS HD floppy image as well as the DD one just in
>> case?
>He is dead right.  Qemulator warns about this and none of my machines
>accept DD disks.
>Apparently it is an XP issue.
It actually depends on the chipset of the motherboard and / or the BIOS.
They removed ED disks from several BIOS types a while ago and DD ones
have been disappearing over the last few years. Many laptops will not
see DD disks any more - many don't any kind of floppy access at all.
Some chipsets now only support the HD disks.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.BN41 2LB