In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roy wood
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, gwicks
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>>Those of us who went to the Sinclair show in Norwich a couple of years ago
>>had a very strong impression that the Spectrum has not moved on to the same
>>extent as the QL. We saw stall after stall selling Spectrum hardware and
>>software that we remembered using in our Spectrum days. The only QL stall
>>selling similar vintage QL software was Simon Goodwins.

>I was about to write the same thing. The Spectrum has not 'moved on' or
>got 'up to date'. The scene is only stronger than the QL because people
>like playing the retro games (maybe because, given the age of the users,
>the modern ones are too hard for them to take in). It was obvious at
>that show that the QL was light years ahead of the Spectrum and equally
>obvious that we had no software to offer. There is not one piece of
>software for the QL that would tempt someone to get into the QL scene.

Probably the only exception is QWord, which can be installed on a native
QL system that has a QXL capacity, or a foreign system like a PC.

It is also well packaged on a CD, and is easy to install.

Not that I am a word game fan, really.

The QL has moved on much further than the Spectrum with hardware.

We have some exceptional QL emulators, and good range of technical
utilities - like Launchpad and QDT.

Unfortunately the applications are not being newly written to take full
advantage; and the updates to older software are only partial.  Usually
done a good will basis.

--
Malcolm Cadman