In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David
McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
<SNIP>
>I've just had an email from Tiscali:
>
>"The introduction of Windows Vista has caused some problems throughout
>the industry. These are due due to incompatibility issues with other
>software. If you are upgrading to Vista there are scenarios where you
>may experience problems, such as being unable to connect to the
>Internet. ... We expect to have a complete solution in the next few
>weeks. We suggest you wait until this is ready before purchasing Vista."
>
>I expect other ISPs will have sent similar messages. I've also seen a
>blog from a company who found that their security software wouldn't work
>with IE7 but IE6 wouldn't work with Vista. They contacted M$ and got the
>suggestion that they turn off the security until the problem was fixed!
>I hope the QL community are all to wise (old?) to have got caught.
In all fairness here this is not a M$ problem but sheer laziness on the
part of the companies concerned. Vista was available as a free time
expired beta version for over a year. The problems the ISPs are
experiencing mainly relate to the security features in Vista which are
there to stop malicious software changing system settings. It will work
with all ISPs if you can manually configure the computer (most of us
could do that) but, as Stuart Honeyball would have it, the 'great
unwashed', want a CD to do it all for them and the ISPs did not bother
to investigate if their CDs would work until the users started to
complain. IE7 has also been available for a while and runs on XP so why
not check on an older machine first to see if it causes problems. Why
not, because they are too lazy to do it.

This is not to say that Vista does not have problems or that M$ has done
a better job with this than they did with any of their other programs.
By all means criticise M$ for its failings but do recognise that, when
your Web Cam, Video Card, Sound Card, USB coffee heater (yes it exists!)
does not work it is not always down to M$ but often down to companies
who cannot be bothered to sort it out beforehand. Oh yes, and maybe they
want to sell you a new  Web Cam, Video Card, Sound Card, USB coffee
heater which does have Vista drivers. Cynical, me?
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.BN41 2LB