In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David
McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 18:44 +0100, Roy Wood wrote:
>> In all fairness here this is not a M$ problem but sheer laziness on the
>> part of the companies concerned.
>
>I know you're very keen on Windows, Roy, but you're missing the
>point ... and this a point which applied (to some extent) to SMSQ. An
>operating system is just there to run your applications and manage your
>files. It's the job of the creator of a new version to make sure that it
>can cope with existing applications and files.
Wrong on both counts. I am not a 'fan' of Windows but I see no point in
blaming it for faults which are not of its making. That is just sloppy
thinking and general 'my dad is bigger than your dad' ness There faults
are enough which are a M$ problem. Also it is not the function of a new
O/S to be backwardly compatible. It is, however, the function of a new
O/S to fix holes in code and improve on the previous one. Sometimes this
makes older software malfunction because it is badly written. This is
what happened to some extent with SMSQ/E but not, in my opinion, enough.
We have spent too much time an effort slugging a good system to make it
work with badly written software. A new O/S should not only move forward
but move the users forward with it.

>The problem with the broadband connections was not with the ISP
>software, but with the drivers for the modems. There aren't that many
>chipsets for these, and M$ could have tried them out.
>
>> IE7 has also been available for a while and runs on XP so why
>> not check on an older machine first to see if it causes problems.
>
>A reasonable question for home users, but large companies expect the OS
>and software compatabilities to be sorted out by the publishers: after
>all, they pay enough in licence and support fees.

I am not talking about big businesses which will probably not upgrade to
Vista until forced to. I am talking about the companies which make and
distribute the hardware and software.

--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.BN41 2LB