>> Go to control panel (classic view) -> administrative tools ->
>> services
>> Then find Indexing Service.
>> Right click on it and STOP the service
>> Right click and select properties - change startup to Disabled.
Ah, thanks. Done.

> When clicking on 'Services' I get:
>
> "Microsoft Management Console has encountered a problem and needs to
> close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."
>
> Don't you just *hate* Windows - it can't even control its own
> programs.
> (8-)#
>
> Tony
Glad to hear I'm not the ultimate expert on breaking Windoze, Tony ;-)

What I was actually doing was testing a Labtech wireless mouse and
keyboard (USB) for my son. He couldn't get it to work on his PC. It
would work for about 30 seconds, then the mouse would go very jerky
and soon after the keyboard would stop responding.

It works OK on my PC (you can even plug it in at the same time as the
PS/2 kbdand mouse and they all work at the same time!), but when
anything happens to slug the PC
(indexing, anti-virus scans, TV tuner card), they becomes jerky and
with poor response, as though a much lower priority than the PS/2
mouse/kbd. Very interesting -
QPC is smoother with it than most other Windoze apps. and the problem
is not as apparent in QPC2 (yet another round of applause for Marcel!)

Anyway, thanks for the quick response everyone.