Hi Dilwyn,

> Good point. Does Windows run "native" on them or is it via some form of
> Linux interface?

It is indeed a native OS. The Asus EEEEEEEEEEEEEE (that's the Yorkshire
version) came out as a Linux system 'only'. It seems that MS 'talked'
to Asus and lo, an XP version was the result. I believe that it is a
cut down version of XP to run in under 1GB RAM (and not to run if there
is ever more!) and some other restriction like one CPU and no extra
cores and so on.

There may be more or less restrictions. MS are planning to have XP
available for small laptops like these only - they want everyone to run
Vista instead and are trying to stop XP. It will run on sub-notebooks
only.

Of course, they have announced that Windows 7 (eh?) will be out in one
year - so they have obviously given up on Vista.

> Think how much software is in Quanta library. It EASILY fits on one CD.
Hmm, I remember those Posso boxes you used to sell. I had one of them
completely filled with the full Quanta library when I was last a
librarian. Progress. I bet it is a lot quicker to copy the full library
now on a CD than it was onto x-hundred separate 720KB floppies!

Actually, one thing that I always think - because I'm so sad - is when
I'm downloading an Oracle CD at home on my cable broadband, I'm getting
faster downloads for a CD now that I ever was when I was the Quanta C
librarian and had to regularly download 720KB of separate disc for the
C68 discs.

Cheers,
Norman.