In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, George Gwilt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

Hi,

Does the recent article in QL Today, by Dilwyn Jones, cover this ?
Entitled "Relative Path Names and QL Emulators".

Using the DOS command of "..\" - where the - dot dot backslash - takes you to the root directory of a device.

So, if your WIN1_ is kept in the root directory of the C Drive, then >

..\QXL.WIN

would define WIN1_ is in the QPC2 Configuration window.

If your WIN3_ is still called QXL.WIN by default, but is held somewhere else, then you can use >

..\Somewhere\QXL.WIN

to define where WIN3_ is in the QPC2 Configuration window.

He also suggests making use of WIN_DRIVE and DOS_DRIVE commands.

So, the same WIN3_ could be assigned as >

WIN_DRIVE 3,'..\Somewhere\QXL_WIN'

( Note : The use of the single quotes ).

He then goes on to describe using UNC ( Universal Naming Convention ) to specify the location of resources on a local network.

The format is >

\\server_name\shared_resource\path_name

Suppose your other machine - server_name - is "Computer2".
It can then be accessed by >

\\Computer2\mydocs\Example.doc

You have to make the other computer a "shared resource" to do this.

On a PC, with WIN XP, you do all this from My Network Places. Just read through the Help files to assist how it is done.

It is very useful, too, for sharing a portable PC with a main desktop PC.

For QL Emulators, Dilwyn also goes on to describe in the article how to do something similar with QL2K and QEMULATOR.

When I put my QPC2 onto a stick I had to define where WIN1 to WIN3 were. The definition depended on what letter each host machine decided to use for the stick. This was no problem.

However I have tried without success to define a WIN file across a PC network. Does anyone know how to do this? Or indeed to be able to "see" any file across such a network.

George