Dave Park wrote:
> Indeed an FPGA implementation of an m68k chip, or emulation of an n68k on
> some other lightweight chip are the only two economically sensible
> solutions.

Actually, the cheapest solution would be to buy something like this

http://mini-box.de/fr/catalog/il/1261

and use a thin software layer to emulate 68k code. 60 EUR for a
complete board with 1,8Ghz and everything but a kitchen sink already
on board can hardly be beaten...

I imagine however that many would say this does not count as real QL
hardware, even though that as a user the only part where one could
notice that it's PC hardware is the BIOS bootup.

But the actual main problem with this solution is that it's too
modern. The graphics chip alone is so advanced that I would not dare
programming it without at least VESA-Bios support. Much of this is
probably true for the other devices, too. In the end one might even
need a small Linux layer to reign in the hardware, but this would then
really make it just a "PC with an emulator on top".

Marcel