From: "Dilwyn Jones" <dil...@evans1511.fsnet.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:34 PM
To: <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Jan Jones

If an approach were to be made to Jan Jones it probably would best come from Quanta as an "official" body. However I cannot stress enough that there is all the difference in the world between a limited reprint with paid royalties and complete publication on the internet.
Absolutely. Which is why I am trying to find out the history of all this so that we don't get off on the wrong foot with any attempts to reprint or eBook or whatever.

It was NEVER my intention to publish it without agreement of the author. I hope that is clear, at least. The only reason I asked Tim for his doc files was to make sure that IF Quanta seeks to make the book available in any form subject to agreement, that we at least have the text of the book to enable us to reprint or e-publish or whatever else the author consents to.

I have found a copy of the email where Javier Guerra told me he had permission to put the public PDF on his website, but there is no message from the author in that email, just Javier's assurance that the permission had been obtained. Perhaps if Javier is still on this list he can clarify.

In any event, I am perfectly happy to put a proposal to Quanta committee to seek to make the book available in some form if agreement can be reached, or should we find documents (such as those which John Taylor referred to) that prove the original agreement is still valid. If the original agreement is found to be valid, we would then need to enter into discussions regarding the royalties. It would quite likely be too expensive to do a full reprint with the amount of sales we may be able to achieve, so realistically a deal of some form regarding royalties on an eBook such as a Kindle download may be the only option.

I'm just as prepared to make sure we have an electronic version ready which could form the basis for a legal reprint or e-publication.

Perhaps Malcolm Lear could let us know how far he got with his efforts to make an electronic version (for the same reason).

I have no criticism of the way you are handling the problem and I know you respect copyright. I think we are now getting onto a more businesslike approach to the problem.

As far as the technical side is concerned the problem with a pdf file is that we will need it to be searchable and include the illustrations. Perhaps the people who did the QL Today pdf archive could help.

The best solution would probably be an e-book. I would certainly be prepared to pay a tenner for that, so that if it oils the works, we can offer Jan Jones royalties.

I think its is relevant to mention that we cannot expect a quick Quanta decision as two of the officers are currently out of the UK for an extended period,

Best Wishes,

Geoff

It is probably