From: Dilwyn Jones <dil...@evans1511.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Raspberry Pi Tracker (Google Maps)
To: ql-us...@q-v-d.com
Date: Wednesday, 30 May, 2012, 15:06

> That's what I do. When I give a company an email, I give
> company.n...@mydomain.com- it's very quick and easy to work out who is
> selling email addresses. All mail to *@mydomain.com lands in a single
> box ;)
>
> Dave
Back in the days of snail-mail, it was fairly easy to trace who put me on which
mailing lists because I have a Welsh name and (then) an even more Welsh
address. Companies used to mis-spell the name or address in every way
imaginable (plus a few more besides) and those same mistakes would turn up in
junk mailings, revealing (often surprisingly) which of many everyday businesses
used to do this.

I suppose this is same principle - putting variations in the email addresses
you use to back-trace where it got onto mailing lists in the first place.