From: "Dilwyn Jones"

2. Spectrum microdrives would not format cartridges on a QL, though you could usually read and write OK. I think there was a bit of a speed difference IIRC, that Sinclair made changes to make QL drives work at higher capacity.

I have discovered this, when I have built my first "QL-T" (sic!). I have used the potentiometer on the mdv's PCB and if it runs at a bit (!) higher speed , it has got more sectors after a FORMAT mdv1_.

BTW: If you put a germanium diode in the MDV select pin, you can access both mdv1_ and mdv2_ with one drive.... Was very good in a small dektop case.

Cheers...Ralf