Well, I once built a QL board in a case with a simple expansion PCB for connecting an SQB, a QFlash EPROM board and a QEP III programmer outside to a separate connector. No separate power supply and no capacitors and all worked well the whole time. I am a bit unsure why it should take such things to make it work.

Cheers...Ralf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Park"

Hi all,

I have assembled the remaining stock of TF Services' MPlane. These are a
great upgrade if you're using a less reliable backplane.

Mplane is a low profile backplane to allow three QL expansions and the
original motherboard or Aurora to be fitted in a case. It was originally
designed for Qbranch's MinisQL, but can be used in any installation.

It is arranged two high and two wide, allowing the motherboard and first
expansion (Gold Card, Super Gold Card or the new Goldfire) to be fitted
side by side and firmly fixed to the case. Only light expansions (ie
qubide) need be mounted above - no more flying Super Gold Card!

Also provided is a standard ROM slot as an alternative when using Aurora,
which doesn't have the standard connector. When used with Aurora, this ROM
slot is fitted facing towards the case back, allowing access through the
back without opening the case.

A 4 layer circuit board with noise reducing internal power and ground
planes is used. Extra smoothing capacitors are fitted, and all sensitive
signal lines have pull up/down resistors as necessary.

It powers off a standard IBM style 4-way connector. +12v/-12v (nominal) are
generated on board for mouse/serial ports. It can be used off 5v only if
floppy/hard disk drives are 5V only. In a tower case, connection of the
standard 4 way power connector will supply both 5v and +12v. The case's
reset switch can be connected to the backplane to reset the QL or Aurora if
needed.

Size is 35 x 197mm

Price is £39 each, plus £9 shipping (£5 extra shipping for each additional
MPlane). I accept PayPal to d...@sinclairql.com. I will also post them on
SellMyRetro.com in due course.

I will start shipping MPlanes on March 22nd.

Please email me off-list if you would like one. I have a limited number.

I have posted photos of them here:
http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=505

In the coming weeks I will also start selling the following:

(S)GC battery replacements. Yes, they're here and done at last. I have been
testing them for a good time now, and they work really well. Finally, a
permanent solution to the GC battery problem.

MultiROM: Two ROM images selectable by a switch. Ultra-low power to help
keep your QL cool.

Further out: an ultra low power memory expansion for non-GC QLs, more
QubIDE cards. Possibly an ethernet card.

What I'm *not* working on: Making more SGCs - though if I can source
compatible logic, I will try to get replacement parts available for those
of you with dead SGCs. Someone emailed and asked me if I'm designing a
super-QL. Sorry, no. I am playing with a 68EC020 QL for my own amusement.