Hi,

A question in the QL Forum:

http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1435

With respects to compiling SMSQ/E on a standard QL, I answered with:

The only version of SMSQ/E that works with the QL is SMSQ/E-GOLD, which is designed to run on a QL fitted with a Super/Gold Card.

Both the Gold Card and Super Gold Card on board ram is used for the QL memory and the QL internal memory is paged out. The SMSQ/E initialisation routine copies the SMSQ/E code to the Super/Gold Card ram.

To get SMSQ/E running on a standard QL with 640K or 896K ram, the SMSQ/E initialisation routine would have to re-written to use the QL internal memory map.

This is one of my pet project to get running, as the SMSQ/E source code is available, so should be achievable.

But a couple of questions arise:

1. Is it worth the effort, when Minerva works very well and basically does the same thing and can be extended where it does not.

The big difference, is that SMSQ/E has the Extended Environment built-in, this can be added to Minerva at boot up, as with Language tables.

Maybe a Minerva to SMSQ/E toolkit could be compiled from existing toolkit to give Minerva the SMSQ/E functionality.

2: With a Gold Card or Super Gold Card fitted, can the QL internal ram be access through some type of paging mechanism?

I would appreciate any comments.

--
Regards,

Derek