Hello, I’ve been lurking on this list for many years and never posted, so I
thought I’d introduce myself before asking my QL Newbie questions.

Even though I’m in the US I've grown up with (Timex/)Sinclair computers around
probably like many of you on this list.  While it was not the first computer I
ever used or my favorite when I was a kid the first computer that was fully
100% mine was a Timex/Sinclair 1000.  In the mid to late 80’s my dad and I
belonged to the Group Using Timex Sinclair Cambridge of Silicon Valley that met
in Cupertino, CA.  A few of the people had QL’s.  The user’s group coordinator
used a QL to make the newsletter
(https://archive.org/details/sincLink-v8-n7-1989-07
<https://archive.org/details/sincLink-v8-n7-1989-07>) and I was always jealous
of a teenage programmer Mark Wahl that brought his QL with Amdek RGB Monitor
and dual floppy drive system to the club meetings and showed off his nifty C
programs (a few are mentioned in the newsletter) Mark seemed like the kind of
whiz that Linus Torvalds probably was back when he was playing with his QL...

I picked up a QL with a US power supply a few years ago off of Ebay.  I pulled
it out of the closet around Christmas and it fired up and I could still load
all the micro drives that came with it.  But using the RF TV output is a bit
underwhelming, and while i could use the micro drives I want to leave them
alone and use something more modern…

What is the easiest way to connect a QL to a modern VGA or HDMI monitor?

What hardware upgrades are currently available for connecting modern storage
like SD Card or Compact Flash to the QL?

Are there any servers that run on a PC that act as a file server to the QL over
the serial port that could be used in place of floppy/CF/SD hardware?  We have
this for our Tandy RadioShack TRS-80 computers, it’s called DriveWire

—

Michael R. Furman
Email: n...@ocs.net
Phone: +1 (408) 480-5865