Bruce Nicholls has kindly given permission for all seven issues of
QReview magazine to be made available via my website.

The magazine ran from July 1993 to March 1995 as a quarterly paper
magazine, which focused mainly on reviews, as its title implies.

Richard Alexander kindly scanned the seven paper issues and they are
available to download as PDF files from the magazines page on my
website.

Please note the fairly large file sizes of the PDF files before
downloading.

Download from:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/mags/index.html#QREVIEW

I like killing time before my brain finally decides it 'Sleeppy time'
by relaxing doing 16x16 Sudoku puzzles. I found software that lets me
create puzzles at home OFF-line. That way I can print them out on demand. Even in the middle of a restless night.

In building a pdf of 350 puzzles, which should last me some time, I
learned that creating PDF's, the final file size CAN be dependent on
the softy used.

My Initial efforts with 4 color puzzle images (black, white, 2 shades
of gray) in its folder that is approx 6.25megs of source material, created different sizes of PDF's depending on the PDF creation software
used.
I had to experiment a bit to end up with a sharable PDF file.
One PDF creator software made a PDF over 50megs, (6 megs grew to 50
WOW) another in the high 30megs, other PDF creation software ran from
20plus megs to 45plus megs for the end result PDF.

I did try and do all this with each software's settings equal where ever I could find those settings.

Further experimenting finally found a way to create the SAME file FROM
the SAME sources in a PDF of 11megs.
(yet anutter software to use, just need to remember to use it the next
time rather then the other stuff also installed on my PC.)

For me the learning and messing with getting to this goal was worth it.

For Years I've used Foxit as my primary PDF reader, and it has NO
trouble with my 11meg PDF of 16x16 puzzles. I suspect Adobe also will
handle the 11meg file, as easily as the 50meg file (But I tossed that so who cares, I'm going with the 11megger)

 :-)

When scanning material, there are several factors that directly effect
file sizes.  The resolution scanned at (DPI), the color depth, and the
saved image file format. A user probably has no control over that if they scan direct to PDF, If that is the case one is usually at the mercy of that software. If the Scanner wishes to clean up the scans then they have to initially save them in a lossless format, that way the cleaning process can be done before saving in a compressed format which usually results in smaller file sizes.

--
Paul Holmgren
JCI #74145