I'm a bit late to this conversation so may be missing the point - there is
some documentation regarding the use of the Machine system variables and
functions on my website, at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/articles/index.html
- scroll down to the Machine Type... articles. They're rather old so may be
missing the most up to date information I suppose, but will give Graeme the
basic info on how it's set up and used.

Dilwyn