In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Q Branch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Zidlicky
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>there is no need to add the bloat of ISO9660 just to read a single QXL.WIN
>>Putting the QXL.WIN image directly on the CD is much cleaner and files
>>inside are still trivially accessible using qxltool on any reasonable OS.
>>
>>Time to set out own standards :)

>This was not what I suggested. The ability to read PC format CDs from
>the Q 40 would open up a vast amount of Clip Art etc. to the QL user at
>a stroke. I know I can read QXL.WIN files with qxltool but the ability
>to access it as a straight directory would open it up to those who want
>to do just that without having to download extra tools and work their
>way through the usual freeware jungle of no front ends or user
>interfaces. Yes we could set our own standards and remain isolated or we
>could do what other commercial  systems are not capable of and read as
>many formats as we can.

I would agree that it is best to embrace the wider 'standard'.  This
choice was also faced some time back by my RISC OS system, another
minority OS, which generated a long debate ... now you just read any PC
format CD.

--
Malcolm Cadman