Of course, academics have been known to be mistaken in their application
of _evidence_ which they are presenting while trying to bolster (I was
going to say "prove") their pet hypothesis.

For example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1413000/1413326.stm

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 00:20:43 +0100 Q Branch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes
> <SNIP>
> >I'm sorry to say that the immediately above is spurious and
> requires
> >comment:
> <SNIP>
> An interesting new take on the subject. I got my information from my
>
> English lecturer at college who extensively studied English usage
> and
> the changes which have occurred over the centuries. Of course the
> usage
> of the word to prove have been changed over the years too and, in
> baking
> parlance, you use the word to describe the fermenting process so
> that
> harks back to the 'pudding'. This is, however, not a real subject
> for
> discussion on this list and should be continued in private if you
> want.
>
> --
>
> Roy Wood
> Q Branch
> 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex BN41 2LB
> Tel : +44(0)1273-386030 / Mobile : +44 (0) 7836-745501
> Fax +44 (0)1273-381577
> web site : http://www.qbranch.demon.co.uk/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.