In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
, Norman Dunbar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>go to Dilwyns web site and download Stripper for Windows. Run it, and load
>in any _DOC files that you download.
>You can then print them out, or save them in text file format as required
>(see the help file for details).

Stripper is highly recommended if you need to handle any _doc files, it
is a Windows program ( or should I say 'Wonder' program, as Norman wrote
it :-) ... you will find the program icon amusing too ... ).

>If you download onto a PC any zip files, you can open them under dos/windows
>but executable files will not have a correct header and won't work, so what
>you have to do is the following :
>
>Download onto your PC
>Copy to a floppy
>Startup the QL and use something like XOVER or Dave Walker's DiscOver to
>copy from DOS format disc to QL.
>Now that you have it on QL format disc, run unzip_exe (from the C68 program
>discs) to extract all the stuff in the zip file and correctly preserve the
>exe file headers.

If you have SMSQ you can just copy the zip file over from a PC formatted
disk to ram drive, and unzip on the QL using Infozip.

You need to get rid of the DOS 'dot' into a QL 'underscore', e.g :-

copy flp1_file.zip to ram1_file_zip

I am forever going around in a triangle between QL > PC > RISC OS, and
there isn't really that much difference in the file formats.

--
Malcolm Cadman