After letting my Q40 sit for a while (since I am still having the partition
problem), I decided to hook up a 400 Meg drive as master (leaving the
current master idle) and give that a shot.  So, I unplugged the old drive
(IDE cable and power), hooked up the spare drive, and turn it on.  Have you
ever seen lightening indoors?  Boy, did the power supply light up and make
a funny noise.  It looks like the power supply is fried.  I doubt a fuse
blowing would produce a lot of light, make a an arcing sound, and smell
that bad.  The power is still being passed to the monitor (it's power was
plugged into the computer).

I think hardware does not like me.

Tim Swenson