In article <039d01c13efc$4510e3a0$66d2d23e@afn>, Arnould Nazarian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>I just saw a new book about Linus Torvalds life tranlated in French, so
>I think that it is a few months old in the USA. It was at FNAC, a French
>store where everybody can impolitely read the books without the security
>being impolite with you (this was the subject of one of their adverts, and
>it is still true).
>
>There is an eleven page chapter about the QL, why Linus did buy one,
>what he did develop with it, what he did like and dislike about it
>eg. he was not happy at all with the OS in ROM so that it is impossible
>to patch it.

That is a good point ... about the ROM based OS.

The other system that I use, RISCOS, is also ROM based.  They are going
to move away from it in the sense that upgrades will be supplied on CD-
ROM, and be able to be applied by the user.

Drawback is that you need to subscribe per year to receive the CD's, so
an ongoing cost for the OS - even though it is uptodate.

>I did not buy it, the rest seems not interesting enough. And there is
>his usual arrogance: "I am the best in the world, the code that I develop
>is always perfect".

Umm ... I always thought he did :-) ... but then Linux is perfect too,
isn't it  ? ... :-)

--
Malcolm Cadman