>>Not sure if I'm talking the same subject here, but Jonathan Dent
>>created a little hack to change the main sprite in ptr_gen some time
>>ago.
>Don't remember that. Must have been another Jonathan, there's a lot
>of them about ;-)
>Jon.
>
>>I think it's on Tony Firshman's BBS, can't remember which area
>>but I think it was called SPRITES_ZIP

OK, maybe it was another John Dent (the 'h' a clue?)

Here's the README file from the package in case it's of interest to
anyone.

Dilwyn Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.soft.net.uk/dj/index.html
========
PTR_GEN

This file, the general version of the pointer interface, contains
code which gives the QL a wimp-style window handling system. The
file also contains certain sprite definitions which are used
internally to define the shape of the mouse pointer when it passes
over windows. This will only be relavent if you are already a
regular user of the pointer interface.
In this _arc file, there is a basic program (findspr_bas) which
opens this file and sifts through it checking for these sprite
definitions. The program writes the addresses of the sprites to the
screen, and you should note these addresses down. If you have two
or more versions of the PI, then you will have to either run the
program twice (two cups of coffee) of substitute the version you
like most on all of your disks.

The 8 addresses correspond to:
         1st      The pointer
         2nd      Lock
         3rd      Empty box []
         4th      Window in other mode under pointer
         5th      'K' (window waiting on the keyboard)
         6th      Not accepting input (no entry)
         7th      Window move
         8th      Resize

there are two pointers in the _arc file, a new pointer and an hour
glass (instead of nr. 6). The best source of information on how to
design sprites is in the QPTR or EasyPTR documentation and programs.
Anyway, note down the two addresses mentioned above, and then alter
the boot file (supplied) and put in your own addresses where
appropriate. Save it, and then admire a decent pointer. The pointer
will not override any applications that to not use the default naffy
one.

John Dent