----- Original Message -----
From: Christopher Cave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 5:48 PM

> I still have some printers that are pre-Win, so no problem yet
> on that score but I would like to know whether the Deskjet range
> of printers supports PCLn for some n and what emulations (e.g.
> Epson) they do?
>
> Weren't there some articles/notes/refs. to PCL in Quanta
> sometime? Anyone recall them?
>
> Christopher Cave

I wrote about printers in the November 2001 Quanta Magazine. As far as I can
tell QL printer drivers for PCL only work for up to PCL3 or PCL4. I have
made this suggestion on several occasions recently and so far no one has
contradicted me. Current HP drivers are PCL6 and HP warn that, although PCL
is downwards compatible, there are changes in PCL6 affecting the way
information is sent to the printer. I have been unable track down exactly
what they mean by this.

I think we need to stop looking at which individual printers are compatible,
and look for structural solutions. This is one of the reasons I welcomed
Marcel's article and felt it needed a wider distribution than the German QL
Today. It is worth reading, particularly if like me, you are ignorant of
Linux and what Ghostscript, Postscript etc. are.