On  Mon, 11 Mar 2002 at 15:58:38,  wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>The qcelt one is still alive, but the problem is with damn spam - I get
>about 1.8Mb of pure unadulterated rubbish into my inbox everyday, and
>unless I visit it daily to remove all the spam it quickly eats into my 2Mb
>mailbox limit, and when that happens emails bounce due to my mailbox space
>being exceeded. At the moment, I'm too busy to do that and can't access the
>web to get at hotmail during work hours - its usually after midnight when I
>get home :-((
>
>I am looking into other email accounts though these are still limited in
>Ireland - this is something I hope to cure when I leave the bank (at the
>start of April). The nice thing about hotmail is you can access it anywhere
>(even freebie airport terminals!) but thats about all I like about it....
There are plenty of ways to reduce spam.

I have my from: and to: address as '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and
don't quote my literal email address in my sig or on my web site.
You can't use that with hotmail.  Mind you I don't know why you mess
with that.  It is a real pain having to manage emails on-line, and it is
so slow.  Also I often get a burst of spam when emailing to hotmail
addresses.

Some people open a free account, and use that only for usenet etc.

The cardinal rule is never quote your literal address anywhere except
private emails.
Since doing this my spam is reducing dramatically.

--
        QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
tony@<surname>,demon.co.uk  http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk