Phoebus Dokos replies to Michael Grunditz:

>>Can PROG_USE contain more places than one ? or is there any other $PATH
>>like variable ?
>
>There are two extensions that create devices called PTH (path) and DEV
>(device) which will do the trick... albeit not as good of elegant as DOS or
>Un*x (I personally prefer the DOS style of paths... really easy to use...
>and one of the few things that don't require you to reboot the system every
>time you change it!)
>
>IIRC The Shell (in the C68 Distro.) can accept a path statement as well...

If you have the ENV_BIN utility you can also, at a pinch, use

SETENV "DISK=win1_utils_disk_"

EX GETENV$("DISK") & qwirc_obj

There is scope for improvement of this idea, I think...

I never found much use for PROG_USE & al. However, recently Ive started
using the following scheme which I find quite practical (I picked up the
general idea from someone in the Quanta mag):

At boot time I set PROG_USE to "win1_x_". Win1_x_ contains a bunch of
one-liners or short scripts written in SBasic that point to the various
(sub)directories where my utilities are kept. A few simple examples follow:

Thus the script in win1_x_qlib might simply be

EX "win1_bas_qlib_exe"

To invoke QLiberator (the compatible compiler) I just type

DO qlib

Another (stupid) example is DO shutdown:

c = item_select("Shut down?", "Yes to Shutdown, No to abandon", "Yes", "No")
if c = 1: beep 2, 2: del_defb: qpc_exit

Or how about DO pws:

PWSDIR$ = 'win1_pws_'
:
PRINT#0;'Loading ProWesS..'
EW PWSDIR$ & "prg_loader"; PWSDIR$ & "startup"
PAUSE 5:BEEP 2, 2

Saves loadsa typing and memorising!

Note that you shouldnt use line numbers unless you want to replace whatever
program you were editing at the time! Without line numbers the script acts
as a batch of immediate commands as typed in at the keyboard - and similar
limitations apply.

Per