On 17/04/02 at 20:24 Phoebus Dokos wrote:

>Hello again,
>here's stupid question no. 2.

No, actually good question!

>Since I don't remember its specs but I do remember that most multisync
>monitors cannot go low enough for the QL to output on them...

Most, but not all.
QL uses 15625Hz Hsynch, 50Hz Vsynch (probably same Hsynch, 60Hz Vsynch for
the US version).
There are older multisynch monitors that will work:
NEC Multisynch up to model 3D (regular, +, 2, 2D, 3D). 3D will not be able
to stretch the screen all the way to the edge.
Sony Multiscan CPD1301, 1302, 1401, 1402, 1425. Used a 1402 for ages
(indestructible, one of my friends now uses it in a small video studio he
has), and I still have a 1425 with a blown high voltage transistor here,
that I have to fix. I Keep it just in case I need to look at something
based on PAL or NTSC scan rates.
Sony also produces several RGB monitors intended for broadcast, which can
be found on Ebay on occasion, in screen sizes from 5" to 22". And the DO
make ONE multisynch (something 2000, not following their usual naming) that
will do anything from 15625Hz to 80kHz horizontal - and it's black, too!
Several other manufacturers used to make monitors that could work with the
QL, usually these were one of the first 15" monitors around and all at
'premier' prices. Translation: these days you find then second-hand for $30
but they were built to last forever and manufacturers bent backwards to
provide more functions than the next in those days.

>Is the QL compatible with CGA monitors (or was that only TTL and not
>Analog?)

Yes, VSYNCH needs to be inverted, needs to be negative, is positive on QL.
This can frequently be done in the monitor.

>If it is I just found a nice adapter from CGA to VGA that could take care
>of the rest (and for under 5 dollars too :-)

This is VERY interesting. Potentially could make QL (with cable adaptor)
work on VGA. For $5 you can try it and tell us :-)

Nasta