On Wed, 1 May 2002, ZN wrote:

> The EU and US specs are actually remarkably similar, and only really differ
> in the number of lines drawn on the screen. 312 EU, 262 US. However, both

However, the English PAL system is BETTER! ;P

If you watch US TV for too long, you go blind, and I'm not referring to
the lousy programming either ;P

> To summarise: nothing to spectacular would happen if the ROMs were
> exchanged.

Ow... I was hoping for a rift in the space-time continuum. (I just wanted
to know if there was a good reason not to do this, like timings going out
and things getting hot or corrupted or etc)

> Actually, it's the 8301 that limits things. The system will stop working
> due to read data from the on-board RAM not appearing at the correct time
> over about 9MHz IIRC - I used to run my QL faster using a separate

What if the onboard RAM has been disarmed, and there is faster memory in
its place? And there was a 5lb heatsink on the 8301 ;)

Dave
http://www.xenu.net/