In message <004c01c205cc$b4284340$47200150@taff2>, Jeremy Taffel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>  Consider scenario 1. You accept my proposed changes.  Richard
>  develops UQLX  for SMSQ/E, touts it with   Redhat/SuSe/Mandrake/Slackware/Debian
>(at least one is already
>  interested) , and as soon as one has it, the others want it as well
>  because that is the way they are).
>
>  ....user buys/downloads set of CDs Does a full installation, and starts
>  to play. Soon, in a fit of nostalgia, he finds himself playing with the
>  emulators. And "what is this??.... a QL brought into the modern world?!    Wow, I
>wonder if I have any listings of my old SuperBasic
>  programmes??", then " I can't work out how the demo's do XYZ, pity
>  the documentation isn't up to it, better send of my xx Euro (10 to TT,   something
>TBD to a reseller to pay for his support) to get some
>  support".
But all of this could have happened before with UQLX as it stands. In
fact the old QDOS ROMs were more tolerant of bad programming techniques
than SMSQ/E so  a lot of code would not run under it.

>  Multiply that by n% of the Linux world and even though n is small, it
>  represents a worthwhile increase in our community. These users then
>  start to buy or even develop applications software, the QL compatible
>  scene is rejuvenated.
I cannot see any increase in the user base as a result of the current
batch of free emulators and I can see no reason that will change by
magic if SMSQ/E is written for UQLX.
>   But of course, neither will happen. You won't change the licence, and
>  Richard won't develop UQLX under it. I will continue to use UQLX with
>  Minerva for "legacy" work , and use other operating systems for
>  everything new.Eventually  another long time user lost.
>  > I for one am a potential new user for SMSQ/E, but only if/when it
>  > is running under uQLx
So you have used UQLX for a long time but will give up if you cannot
have SMSQ/E ? Is this really what you are saying here ?
>.
>  Wee, yousee, what prevents you, from my pont of view, to get
>  SMSQ/E under UQLX, apparently, is not the licence, but the fact
>  that one man, Richard, Zidlicky, is unwilling to work under it.
>  I think that my illustration above explains why it is unreasonable for him
>  to work under this licence.If he doesn't develop it, I won't blame him at
>  all. His view, while unfortunate for me, is logical, and in his position I
>  would do the same.
I think the illustration above has more holes than a lorry load of
colanders.
>  > These are only suggestions if you don't like them, then fine.
>  The question isn't really whether I like them or not. The question is
>  whether they will be able to create an envrionment where
>  everybody, including the resellers and authors, will be able to work.
>  As you mentioned earlier, there is a rift - I see that rift between those
>  who, like me, want to ensure continued support fro SMSQ/E, and
>  see that as coming in a great part from the resellers and
>  comemrcial work, and others (like Richard) who want a true "open
>  source" (incuding binaries). Like you, I have come to the
>  conclusions that these positions are ot reconcilable. I try to do
>  what I think is right.
And I think that most people should be applauding you for that.
<BIG SNIP>
>  P.S. Having just read Roy's response, it seems that you and he have a
>  different view as to whether commercial offerings will be accepted into
>  the core operating system. No wonder I'm confused. If he has no
>  problems with some of  my suggestions and even thinks that some of
>  the ideas have been agreed already, why are you so negative?
OK I may have overstepped myself a bit here. Jochen and I discussed the
concepts of adding commercial bits to SMSQ/E and, although I was at
first very much in its favour, he pointed out to me that it would be
unworkable in practice. The costs would spiral out of control (for the
user - not for the reseller) and the administration would be a
nightmare. We did decide that all commercial developments would have to
be in the form of add-ons and that any development that had to go into
the core of SMSQ/E would have to be free and go into the open version. I
did think that this has been put to Wolfgang but it obviously had not. I
apologise if I have mislead you. As I said I have no actual control over
how the licence is.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch, 20 Locks Hill Portslade. Sussex. BN41 2LB. UK

  • ... Nicholls, Bruce
    • ... P Witte
      • ... Dave
        • ... wlenerz