----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy Wood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Just another idea

> In message <001301c213a9$8e90a4c0$d299893e@macnamarxmjd3y>, Mike
> MacNamara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> <SNIP>
> >> OK. Compare the first proposal with the actual licence. Ask
> >> yourself: did "the other side" make many/any concessions? Yes,
> >> so I have saved face and can accept it.
> >I did not think your livelihood was derived from QLs, or your
> >capital tied up in it, what I meant was if my back was to the
> >wall I would be looking to save face here, it is a no win
> >situation.
> OK reality check here. What do you actually know about the
situation?
> When I was selling the Q40 Peter Graf had no financial commitment
apart
> from sourcing the parts. Tony Firshman and I paid for the parts. He
did
> pay for the circuit boards and the 'licence chips and we paid him
back
> for these. All of the financial burden was on our shoulders. Peter
would
> not give Tony Firshman the circuit diagram at  the start because 'he
> will steal my ideas' . (Oh did hear someone say Open Source ?).
>
> Peter would not change one thing in his design in spite of the fact
that
> Tony and I pointed out several advantages to making changes and a
few
> real problems. Peter made very little effort to solve any problems
that
> existed in our manufacture. Tony found and bought most of the parts
but,
> because it was me that turned around and said there would be no more
> money until he made some effort to help us solve the problems. The
parts
> became 'Roy's faulty parts'. In fact some of the problems were with
his
> faulty EPROM's and  2nd hand video ram. I refunded money and gave
away
> free copies of QPC2 (which I paid for) to a few users who waited for
> ages for a Q40 which I could not supply because Tony could not get
them
> to work. Peter Graf got 3 times the amount of money per board than
Tony
> or I received. Tony for doing a whole lot of work and me for putting
the
> documentation together, sorting and compiling support disks, testing
the
> code from TT and advertising. In fact Tony and I still have several
non
> working boards so we made a whopping loss. I sympathise with D&D.
>
> Peter Graf has a job which, as far as I was led to understand when
he
> was saying things like, 'my job is sending me to Hong Kong etc.'
pays
> well. The only losers here will be the users because there is
nothing to
> stop Peter doing business in the licence - it is just that he has to
> rely on people who will not do the work because he has alienated all
the
> others. A rod for his own back I believe.
> --
> Roy Wood
> Q Branch, 20 Locks Hill Portslade. Sussex. BN41 2LB. UK
> Tel : +44 (0)1273 386030 Fax : +44 (0)1273 430501 (New number!)
> Mobile +44(0)7836 745501
> Web : www.qbranch.demon.co.uk

Hi Roy, Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!! Here's a realaity check based on
reality. Peter and Claus are great blokes to do business with. The way
I have organised the Q60 production is Peter supplies _all_ parts for
constrution including _all_ plug-in components - I/O cards, network,
memory, everything. All parts are new and a first class consistant
build is ensured. I build all the motherboard myself (we used to share
the build (Derek used to do half)). Every Q60 built works perfectly -
zero failure rate. Peter supplies me with any extras I ask for
immediately, he waits a long time for payment and demands nothing, a
perfect business partner, efficient and correct. He's a great bloke so
you must stop saying he is not, the more you say it the less people
will belive you. You are having a bad effect on yourself. Let the
issue go in this list. Please let me point out one small thing as an
example. I have said nothing before but look at this, just as one
example, ok? In an earlier email you said something like "Peter even
refused to go to the AGM evening dinner". Where did you get that
information from? Here is the News, read this: I told Peter and the
others we were not going to the AGM dinner so we could have a
confidential talk about important Q60 hardware developments covering
the next 2 years. Peter wanted to go to the dinner - I stopped him.
This is the opposite to what you announced, etc. etc. etc. Stop making
it up as you go along. Blimey!

Merry Christmas

Dennis - D&D Systems